2021 New River Marathon response to COVID-19
COVID-19 Guidelines are posted on our Policies and Rules.
In alignment with CDC Guidelines: North Carolina Governor Cooper released Executive Order 215 effective May 14, 2021. For the purpose of the New River Marathon, this Executive Order has lifted face covering requirements, social distancing requirements and capacity restrictions.
In 2020 the New River Marathon ran in compliance with the NC COVID-related Guidelines. As we plan for NRM2021, we are also complying with NC Guidelines.
- Proof of COVID vaccination will not be requested from runners, volunteers or staff.
- Face Coverings will not be required. A runner/volunteer/staff may choose to wear a face covering, which is recommended for unvaccinated people.
- Social Distancing will not be required.
- Capacity Limit will not be restricted.
- The New River Marathon, Half Marathon and 5K will return to a mass start. Those runners who are uncomfortable with a mass start may start toward the back of the pack. Per USATF Standards overall awards and course records will be determined by Gun Time. Age group awards will be based on chip time.
- Awards Ceremony for each race distance will be held.
Thank you for running with us since 2010. You are greatly appreciated. Hoping to see you on October 2! We will post any new updates on our website, Facebook and Instagram.
Ken Sevensky, NRM Director