Riverside Restaurant (All Friday and Saturday race-related activities)
7181 Railroad Grade Rd
Todd, NC 28684
CLICK HERE for a venue site map.
Friday, October 1 Schedule:
Saturday, October 2 Schedule:
6:15am – 8:00am : Runner Reg./Packet Pick-up
(WAIVER REQUIRED click either Runner or Minor)
7:30am: Marathon Start
7:45am: Half-Marathon Start
8:00am: 5K Start
9:30am: 5K Awards
10:45am: Half Marathon Awards
12:30pm: Marathon Awards
1:30pm : Marathon and Half-Marathon courses close
Runners for the Marathon, Half-Marathon and 5K need to bring a signed waiver with them to check-in (see link below) and also have two options for check-in and runners must pick up two items: race bib (with bib tag for chip timing already attached) and race shirt.
Option 1: Friday night, October 1, 5:00pm – 8:00pm.
Option 2: Saturday, October 2, 6:15am – 8:00am. Important Note: road traffic will be held for runners as they enter the roadway. Please arrive at least 30-45 minutes before your scheduled start time.
CLICK HERE for printable driving directions to the New River Marathon Start.
Important Note: After exiting Highway 421, the final 3.2 miles are are small two lane, country roads. In addition, there is one entrance to the start / finish venue. Please allow ample time for travel, parking and registration / check-in.
Parking will be directed by local Volunteer Fire Departments. Parking will be on the shoulder of a hard-packed access road, approximately 1/4 mile from the Start/Finish. Weather permitting, the field behind the Riverside Restaurant will also be used.
Runners are permitted to check one drop bag at the Start/Finish. The drop bag may only be submitted once and retrieved once.
- The Marathon and Half-Marathon will Start/Finish on the lawn adjacent to the Riverside Restaurant. The 5K will start on Railroad Grade Rd in front of the Riverside Restaurant and will finish on the lawn adjacent to the Riverside Restaurant.
- The races will start on time.
- Items found at the Start may be retrieved at the Lost and Found at the Finish Line Officials’ Tent.
On Course Support (2021):
- The course will follow roads which are lightly traveled and will remain open to normal traffic. However, intersections and specific sites will be staffed to control traffic and direct runners.
- Turns will be signed and staffed.
- Distance Markers will be signed every mile and 5K.
- Support stations will be available approximately every 2 miles and will have disposable cups of water and Gatorade, porta-potties and hand sanitizer.
- Marathon support stations will be available at miles 1.3 (water only), 3.8, 5.6, 7.1, 9.2, 11.1, 13.2, 15.1, 17.0, 18.8, 20.4, 22.2, 24.1.
- Hammer Energy Gel (individual servings) and M&Ms will be available at support stations: 7.1, 11.1, 15.1, 18.8 and 22.2.
- Half-Marathon support stations will be available at miles 2.0 (water only), 4.5, 6.3, 8.3, 10.5, 11.2
- 5K will have one support station at Mile 2 (water only).
- If spectators remain at the Start / Finish Venue, the Riverside Restaurant will be open. Coffee and menu items could be purchased while you wait for your runner.
- If you choose to cheer for your runner on the course, it is a bit tricky and not encouraged. NRM is not like city-based marathons, at which you could avoid the race route by driving one city block. We’re running country roads with few intersections and it’s impossible to spectate along the course without putting additional traffic on the race course. The best place to spectate is at Marathon Mile 11.1, which is at the Riverside Restaurant.
Finish Line (2021):
- All finishers in the Marathon, Half-Marathon and 5K will receive a finishers “medal”. The wooden finisher’s medallion is locally crafted from locally reclaimed poplar and pine. The wooden medallions were once 2x4s salvaged from a circa 1950s barn that was scheduled for demolition.
- Stick Boy Kitchen is our Finish Line Sponsor. Runners will be refreshed at the finish line with fresh fruit and made from scratch goodies.
- The Riverside Restaurant will be open throughout the day. Menu items can be purchased and include hot and cold sandwiches, salads and sides
- Overall awards in each race will go three deep for women and men. Runners who receive overall awards are not eligible for age group awards.
- Age group awards in each race will go three deep for women and men. Age groups include: 19 years and younger, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70+.